Thursday, 9 July 2015

Being a social scientist

When I got through TISS, I was glad and very excited to join the post graduation in women's studies and I was rejoiced to know that I was going to study about something which made me restless every night and I used to twist and turn till the results of the entrance exam were announced. It was a great sense of pride for me to be a social scientist and working for the upliftment of women in the society. Everyone asked me about the scope of this inter-disciplinary course and future prospects of pursuing this course and I was just bearing the thought that I did not have to answer the 21st century fools and if I would address them then they would not bother to listen because they are over-burdened with the concepts of engineering and natural sciences, which I could never manage to think about.

There was a point in my life when I was just ridiculed because I did not simply fit in because my perceptions were different and some of my teachers used to complain that I was not active in the class and I used to think in my mind that my teachers had a very tough time with me and I must do nothing about it because I knew that they were not understanding what I actually needed. Being my teacher, they thought that I would think about what they had said to me and I did think about it but I was a strict follower of my heart and I never gave any options to myself when I had made up my mind to do something. It did not mean that I hated to seek opportunities which would lead to my growth but those opportunities would remain with me according to the time which I had set in my mind.

At times, I used to persevere really hard and out of my softer vulnerability, I used to cry silently so that others were not disturbed and those tears were always precious for making me grow with a new promise to achieve the height which I wished for since my childhood. I had been a person whose every decision is justified but people would really need a stronger heart to understand and stand by it.
Every single instance of social injustice would make me sweat in the night and I realised that I would not choose something which others would have chosen and thereby, I declared myself as a social scientist.

Though, it was really hard to manage time but I knew that I would definitely do it. I had graduated from Delhi university, which was quite a happening place and the most desirable place but there was an intense urge to move away from that place as I was not comfortable to live in comfort and chose Hyderabad as it is quieter and a place which would make me sweat and give me an experience which would mark the beginning of a new era, led by the social scientists of TISS.

No comments:

Post a Comment